Thursday 19 March 2015

Hey guys, I'm back blogging once again! Really sorry for a huge gap between last year and this year, but I'm having my semester break now, so I'll be writing more often during this period. Here's to a short getaway to Bangkok :)


Bangkok, the city where you'll shop till you'll drop and the start of endless eating. Bustling streets, the chaotic crowd, heavy traffic but ultimately, the company that you're with adds a finishing touch to the venture and exploration of new food and places.


Well, it isn't my first time coming to Bangkok neither will it ever be my last. This time, my parents and I decided to have a short weekend getaway during my semester break (and yes, I'm gonna be embarking on my last year in poly soon, time sure passes fast...).

DAY 1

The flight there was pretty earlier in the morning: 7am, which I struggled to wake up at 4am to get to the airport... For those of you who know me, I guess I'm not really a morning person haha. Nonetheless, early morning flights definitely has its perks: watching the sunrise high above the clouds. Love the streaks of warm morning rays :)


It was afternoon by the time we arrived our destination and settled for the roadside food.
Main dishes: Roasted pork and char siew (extreme left), grilled chicken (bottom right) and of course, the famous wanton noodles (top right). You could probably find a similar combination in Singapore, but the sauces that were served with these dishes definitely added a tinge of sweet, sour and saltiness to them.


Our next couple of nights were spent at Tune Hotel, which is walking distance from Asok BTS station. I got the privilege of having my own room here and the bed really compensated for my queen-sized bed at home too yay!

DAY 2
Highlight: After You Café


The exterior and interior of the café had a western style to it, with bricked-walls on the outside and wooden tables on the inside. There are a few outlets in Bangkok, but we popped by for a visit at After You Café at Siam Square One during teatime.


Matcha Thick Toast with Green Tea Ice Cream.
Known for their widespread selection of western desserts, this café serves their signature thick toast of various flavours, puddings, crumbles, scones and brownies topped up with ice cream. You name it, they have it!


Peppermint Latte.
A serving of coffee with never go wrong with a dessert. With the sweetness of a dessert, you definitely need to tone it down it with a cup of coffee or tea. Ranging from hot to cold, there are a variety of beverages to choose from, making you spoilt for choices.


Not forgetting a mandatory photograph outside the café for a wholesome experience :)

DAY 3

Looking for a place to shop and eat to enrich your evening?
Siam Paragon/Siam Center & The Night Market


Having a little time to spare, I decided to do some street photography on my own in the central of Bangkok. Indeed, this city comes to life in the evening with the bustling crowd from all walks of life and different nationalities.


Night markets are something you should never give a miss, especially here in Bangkok. It was interesting to observe that there was absolutely no sight of any shops during the day but the moment dusk sets in, the night market springs to life. Located just below Siam BTS station, this place is filled with the sights and sounds of the chaotic city.




Take the night out to have dinner or supper at the roadside stalls and have a taste of the authentic Thai cuisine while watching vehicles whizzing past you by the side.


 A brightly-lit alley.
The stark contrast between the chatters and conversations on the streets and the long isolated alleyway tucked away behind.

DAY 4

Stir-Fried Vermicelli Noodles (left) & Papaya Salad and Fried Rice (right).

Once is never enough, had a last taste of Thai food cooked by the locals before heading back to Singapore. Missing the hustle and bustle of the city and the sumptuous food now but I'll be back before you know it, Bangkok!

0 comments:

Post a Comment